I made a big pot of spaghetti/meat sauce yesterday and an hour later the whole house smelled like garlic and tomato. Mmmmm! I love it when I walk into an Italian restaurant…because of the smell. If it smells like Mrs. Balsamos’s (our 80 yr old Italian neighbor in Rochester) kitchen, I am transported back to when I was 4 or 5.It’s incredible how smells can take you back in time. It’s not just food smells that put me into a time capsule…it’s also the smell of incense/candles at church. There is just something really holy about that smell and immediately it transports me back to my catholic elementary school days. The perfume “Loves Baby Soft” or “Sweet Honesty” is sooo junior high! My 13 yr old niece had those 2 bottles on her dresser and I couldn’t hold back…I had to take a sniff, then I dabbed some on my wrist just to remember the “good ‘ol days”.
If you haven’t seen the movie French Kiss with Meg Ryan & Kevin Kline…you must rent it. It’s a fun romantic comedy. There is a sweet and sexy scene where he takes her to his bedroom where he grew up. He shows her a project that he did when he was a kid regarding wine that his family made at their vineyard consisting of herbs and flowers. It was so great when she took a sniff and knew what it was...THEN she drinks the wine and says she tastes the CURRANT. Very cool!!!
Some of what I love to smell now:- the sea-salt air at the beach, freshly cut grass, my kids laundered clothes, the smell of freshly brewed coffee, baked bread, hot apple & pumpkin pie. Speaking of pumpkin pie…today is the first day of Fall. I can’t wait to start planning my Thanksgiving dinner menu…now that’s a great smell!
God is Good!

6 comments:
Mrs. Balsamo...chica, I almost forgot about that lady! We were 3 when we knew her!! I get dizzy just thinking about her head going around in circle...remember that??
I am so with you on the scents thing. Every time I smell White Linen perfume, I think of riding my old boyfriend's dirtbike off of Elmgrove Road by the marina. Remember that place??
Love's Baby Soft takes me back, too, and I remember the shiny bubblegum-flavored lipgloss sticking to my long hair. We were so girly back then!
Now I put on candles and go crazy with aromatherapy. It really does a body good.
Great post, Brookie! ;)
I am very into smell myself. Sometimes I will smell something that raises the hair on my arms but I don't remember why. Here are some things I like to smell.
Leather
Ginger
Italian food
Fresh ground coffee
Ah, aroma and memorie...I can so relate. My mother's clean smelling house is one for me, of course there are lots of food aromas that I connect to the past also. My oldest daughter says she like the smell of older homes because they smell of timber and wood like the farm her grandparents had. This is a great post..it brings back lots of sweet thoughts!
Scarlet,
Yes...at the time we didn't know why she would jiggle her head around, now we know...she had Parkinsons. I believe we had the Baskin & Robbins Blueberry gloss...If I smelled that now, I'd probably vomit. My smell has matured as well, so I'm with you and Aromatherapy! Do you want to buy some sandlewood incense? Remember how we LOVED that??
Greg...I forgot to mention about the Ginger and the Leather! Those are great too. I also love new car smell, but that could be the leather as well. :)
Hi Pat,
Yes...I do recall the smell of our old house. We had paneled wood walls, so I know what your daughter means. I recently walked into a wine store and that smelled reminded me of my old home.
God is good!
I agree, it's amazing how scent can take you right back to a moment in time.
Post a Comment