Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Chinese water torture? ~

Okay, today I’m annoyed. I work with the guy named John who, for most part is quiet but oh-my-gosh…so nose-eee! He’s worked here for 8 yrs and I’ve worked with him for 5. He sits in a workstation about 30 ft away from my office, which is next to my boss's office.

This morning, he couldn’t wait to open the Corporate Calendar and see who’s out of the office to make his usual daily comments on “why is so and so on vacation again”, “why is so and so traveling again”…”isn’t it funny that so and so is out sick again”?

Our office carries voices, so you can imagine…John is in heaven because he can hear it all! Because I’ve had it with his nose-ee-ness and Because I’d like to have some privacy…last week I made a suggestion during a marketing meeting I had with my boss that we should get one of those relaxing, spa-like 10ft water fountains with river rocks to place between his office and mine. I told him why we should spend the money on this and he commented that it was a pathetic reason, but agreed that it was a good idea and could possibly work in muffling our phone and meeting conversations.

The fountain arrived early this morning and it is beautiful! The sound of rambling water is so relaxing and it really looks nice where I had the installers place it. My boss loves it and told me we should get another one for the other side of the office.

After lunch, John approached me with a grunt. (I've never seen him do that and it was really weird) “Why did you just grunt at me??” I asked. He said “Not at you, at that stupid fountain…geez it’s like some bad *ss Chinese water torture!” What??...Is he kidding me?? This is like working at a spa? I have received compliments on top of compliments on how great and relaxing our office feels.

After 5 years of working with him these are the little things that I know:

41
Looks like a younger nerdy version of Larry Bird
Irish- Catholic
Originally from Cleveland, OH
Never married
Sits in the parking lot at 7:00am until the office opens at 8:00am
Never eats lunch
Has 1 sister that’s married
Moved out of his parents house last year
Extremely intelligent – Like the “NASA” type
Loves Coffee, watching “House” and “Weather Channel”

If there are any takers, I’d be happy to introduce you! ;) He might just need companionship and therefore, would have a life.

He was really and truly upset over the fountain. I couldn’t believe it! Very professionally, I express my relaxed “new” self with an apology and told him he’d just have to get use to. Misery LOVES company, so as I write this, he is taking a poll to see if anyone else agrees with him. Of course he’s upset…now he can’t hear what is going on in the office and can’t hear what others are talking about! Uugghh!!! I wish I had the guts to tell him “Dude, if it doesn’t’ effect your job or your productivity, then you really shouldn’t spend all day looking into what others are doing…obviously you don’t have enough to do if you are so consumed with being so freakin’ nosey!” BUT, then the Christian in me comes out and I realize that wouldn’t be very kind for me to say, so I just reserve it.

Whenever I see John, it's like he has a sign over his head with the second commandment written all over ~ 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' I guess it's the only positive thing that I see when I run into him and it's a good daily reminder.

Let's look at who Jesus says our neighbor is: You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you. (Matthew 5:43)

Okay…I’ve ranted and raved so I’ll pray for John.

God is Good!

8 comments:

Real Live Lesbian said...

I'll send up a prayer for John, too. It sounds like he's lonely and has very little to occupy him in his own life.

Thanks so much for the comment you left me. It made my day!

Scarlet said...

I want to meet John! He sounds sexy. I like guys that show up early for work and watch The Weather Channel. lol

Brooke, I'm so glad you're a nice little Christian girl now...and that you pray for your enemies.

Great post, Chica! ;)

Brooke said...

RLL,
Awww, you're welcome! I'm happy you liked it. I always keep that note close by and read it myself when needed. You are right about John...your prayers are appreciated. :)

Scarlet,
LOL! John is not my enemy, but is more like a "pulga"...you know a flea. He shows up early, sits in the parking lot and reads the Herald. We all think he does it to see where everyone parks. LOL!

Deech said...

You are an inspiration to me. The Christian side of me looks up and admires you...The Cuban/Italian heritage in me says its time to wipe that DNA off the planet.

Awwww - I guess I will stick with the Christian Side of me...

Greg C said...

I did a little rant today myself. We have a guy here that does that parking lot thing. Today he got caught and was late getting into his office. My boss and I were there to tell the group something and he got caught being late.

Our company thrives on gossip. Some of these people would change jobs if they were prevented from doing it. I like to start little rumors to see who will pass them along. I sometimes even leave little notes around to back up my stories and those same snoops will find them and keep the rumors going. Just something I enjoy doing. :)

Brooke said...

Flyinfox,
You have no idea how my Christian side has to control my Cuban side. Ahy Dios Mio! Everyday it’s the same thing…el chisme lo tiene loco! If my post inspired you, well then I’ll pat myself on the back. Listen to the angel that is seated on your right shoulder and flick the enemy off of the left one. It works for me.

Greg,
That is hysterical! We have others here that do that “pretend something is going on in the company” thing and to be honest, I get a kick out of it because he goes nuts! If anyone closed their office doors he immediately starts commenting that “something must be going on” LOL! He is too much!

Janell said...

Good job with the rant! You have a remarkably good way of expressing yourself. I don't doubt your prayers for him will be better for it.

Brooke said...

Janell,
Thanks!! You always know what to say…I always feel like I’m “Rambling On”…I’m still new at this, so I just pretend I’m talking to someone when I’m writing.