Oh,....... how those 6 words make me go nuts! When I was growing up Pediatrician were different…they did it all! In the Dr.’s office, they drew blood/urine, burned off warts, swabbed for strep, stitched you up and even took x-rays.
Now-a-days it just seems like pediatricians are only there for shots and prescriptions. Even the yearly physical exams aren’t as detailed as they were back then. And it’s not only my pediatrician, I speak with lots of other moms that have different doctors and they say the same thing.
I brought my 5 yr old, who has had a sore throat for the past 3 days to his pediatrician today. “It’s a virus, it has to run its course”...uugghhh, those 6 words! How does he know it’s viral if he can’t draw blood or swab his throat? Then comes “Antibiotics won’t help if it’s viral”. (Like I didn’t know that) :(
So, I took him to Urgent Care just to have these 2 simple things tested: blood and a throat swab. My mommy instincts kicked in and I needed piece of mind. The doctors examined him and decide just to swab his throat. In about 30 minutes the results came back…he has a bacterial throat infection. With ½ of a day wasted, $150 later and a prescription in my hand, I’m confident that by Sunday he’ll be feeling better.
I am too blessed to be stressed! God is Good!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I'd be sending that bill to my pediatrician!
I've heard the "it's viral" crap and I always tell them, "Yeah, well, give me a prescription in case it's not!" My doctor always does what I tell him; he's the best. His name is Dr. Simovich on Galloway by Norman Bros. Market. Check him out.
I hope your son is feeling better soon!! :)
Way to go with the Mommy instincts! I know how frustrating it can be sometimes, but you're taking good care of your little one.
Isn't that the truth. What has happened to doctors out there. Like you said they just give you the once over and if more is needed they send you to a specialist. I do remember my doctor sending me for xrays right there in his own building. They also did lab tests there and even had their own pharmacy. Now they look at the kids, sent them to a lab for tests. Send they to another place for xrays and finally you end up at some pharmacy across town only to find out that the thing they prescribed isn't carried. :(
But then like you said, I am too blessed to be angry. :)
Oh, you're preachin' to the choir on this one! I even had my last doctor "fire" me as a patient because I inquired as to why they don't do xrays or blood draws in the office - I had to go to another facility to get these things done. They were offended that I questioned their judgement and suggested I go elsewhere! No problem...there's lots of doctors out there.
Meanwhile you're a good Mom to follow your instincts - they are usually right. But more then anything I love your last line -
"I"m to blessed to be stressed! God is good!" - AMEN!
Scarlet,
I totally agree with asking for a prescription "just in case". I will check him out. Today is Monday and my little man is much better!
Janell,
I always go with the Mommy instincts...it's like butterflies in my tummy. I thank God for putting them in there. :)
Greg,
So true! The once over, give them a sticker and shue you out the door. Thank God that I haven't run into the problem where a Rx wasn't available. :)
Pat,
You are too much! I love that you got fired as a patient. Good for you! I actually have been blessed with a facility in Coral Gables that does it all there. I just wish they had a pediatric office that did the same.
Have a beautiful day!
Post a Comment