I’m blessed, but so busy! My job is demanding, I try to stay in shape, have wonderful friends, maintain a organized home with my husband/2 boys, and volunteer for causes I support, but in trying to do all this – at times simultaneously – I often have even less time for myself.
Joe (my husband) and I were talking about this last night during our “coffee talk”. The boys go to bed around 7:45pm and he gets the coffee going, I’ve got the mugs in hand, we get comfy on the couch and just talk. I rambled on about how the week has flown by and how booked our weekend was going to be with 2 kiddie birthday parties on Saturday, a housewarming brunch on Sunday and of course Church. Compassionately he said, “You just have to learn to say one simple word: “No….flat-out, No.” What?...me say “No?”
Joe is right it does add unnecessary stress, but anyone that knows me knows that it’s very difficult for me to say “No”…I mean, it's easier said than done, right? On those rare occasions that I do say “No”, which I hate because it makes feel so guilty. I find myself needing to give a lengthy explanation on why I’m saying “No.”
I promised Joe that I would work on this and make it my 2009 New Year’s Resolution. As for now, I’ll just go with the flow, multitasking as usual until 2009 and remind myself that the Lord does not give me more than I can handle.
God is SO Good…all of the time!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
It is hard for me as well Brooke. If I see something that needs to be done, I just go ahead and do it and if someone asks for my help I want to say yes. Last night I skipped a meeting on raising money for the band because I was just too tired. See I am improving. It gets easier the more you do it. Also try this. When someone asks you to do something ask if they have asked anyone else. You may find out that the reason they keep coming to you is that they know that you will say yes and everyone else is saying no.
Good luck
The hardest thing to say no to is kids birthday parties because you know how important it is to the little ones...and if you don't go to their parties, no one will come to yours.
I always have a full plate, and I love keeping myself busy, but when it gets overwhelming I can say no. I have no problem with that word...unless you call me for lunch...I couldn't possibly say no to you, Chica. We have way too much fun together! :)
Saying no..means confrontation. The reason for this is because of the inevitable question we get afterwards...Why? or Why Not?
Yeah its hard. But sometimes necessary. I think you will find your way and your strength in order to "Just Say No"
Greg,
Great advise...I will ask if they've check with others. Why didn't think of that?
Scar,
My boys love Birthday Parties! So yes, it's hard to decline on those. You need to come over for a BBQ w/the family....Yes or No?
Flyinfox,
I actually said "No" today. It was necessary. My Son's teacher asked me to be treasurer for the PTA. Aren't you proud?
Sometimes one has to say 'NO'. All depend on the situation and circumstances. Nice write.
Hello~ just found your blog. I too am always willing to help people, but over the years I've learnt that some people just like takin the piss, once you start to say yes, they will continue to annoy you, why have a dog and bark yourself?! Exactly.. if they can't do it then you gotta say no.. they eventually get the message. I always ask the question, would you do it? if they don't answer immedietly, then you have the answer also..:-)
Venus,
Yes…you are correct…it depends. For those that need my help, I am usually there. Great to hear from you again!
Indigo,
I loved your line “why have a dog and bark yourself?” It must be a UK thing. Believe me, I will use it accordingly when the time comes. Thanks for stopping by.
Post a Comment