
I sat in the conference room yesterday for several hours. It was the intro to our “Fourth Quarter All Employee Meeting”. Since I assist the President, I prepared the agenda and knew what topics were being covered. I found myself zoning in and out at times. I doodled on my pad, made a mental to-do list on stuff I had to finish at work, home and for the weekend.
It amazes me that everybody has something to say - something to comment on – something to complain about prior to an employee meeting, but when that infamous closing statement from the President of the company: “Does anyone have any questions, comments or concerns that I can address?” There is silence….15 seconds of silence. This is actually my favorite part of the meeting, when I wait to see what questions are asked. Then that’s it! Your train has passed, you had your moment to speak up and ask that question, but you didn’t…oh well, maybe next time, which is next quarter, which is next year.
It’s obvious that during employee meetings no one wants to ask that “silly” question and fears looking stupid or feeling embarrassed in front of others, but chances are that someone else is curious about the same thing. If the shoe were on the other foot, you probably wouldn't make fun of someone else for asking questions, well at least not at that moment.
Do not be afraid to ask dumb questions. They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes.
God is Good!
It amazes me that everybody has something to say - something to comment on – something to complain about prior to an employee meeting, but when that infamous closing statement from the President of the company: “Does anyone have any questions, comments or concerns that I can address?” There is silence….15 seconds of silence. This is actually my favorite part of the meeting, when I wait to see what questions are asked. Then that’s it! Your train has passed, you had your moment to speak up and ask that question, but you didn’t…oh well, maybe next time, which is next quarter, which is next year.
It’s obvious that during employee meetings no one wants to ask that “silly” question and fears looking stupid or feeling embarrassed in front of others, but chances are that someone else is curious about the same thing. If the shoe were on the other foot, you probably wouldn't make fun of someone else for asking questions, well at least not at that moment.
Do not be afraid to ask dumb questions. They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes.
God is Good!

6 comments:
Don't forget Greg's #1 rule concerning questions. There are no dumb questions, only dumb people. Seriously though I know where you are coming from. I have decided that people just like to complain. They really don't want to correct problems because then they wouldn't have anything to complain about. That is how it is here anyway. There is a guy that I work with that doesn't do his job and everyone constantly gripes about it. Someone always has to go behind this person and fix what he did and everyone knows it. When I hear someone complain about this person, I say they why don't you do something about it. The usual response is why bother. Then I reply, then why complain.
I can feel your pain.
Greg
No such thing...just like Greg C says.
I'm sooo glad we don't have meetings!
First off, I love the new blog look!
In today's economy, I find that many people are looking to keep their head down and not seem stupid.
Some people love to complain...and it's always to the wrong people. I hate that. I always go straight to the top...but it's only me and two bosses, so I don't have far to go. ;)
Greg,
Some have great ideas and ways that we can improve this or that, but when it's time to speak up...nothing.
RLL,
You are so lucky!...one less thing to get frustrated about! :)
Flyinfox,
-Ahy, Gracias! I had some time to work on the blog look, so your comment was greatly appreciated.
-We have a lot of "layin' low" people here...I can relate.
Scarlet,
Like me, all I have to do is go straight in his office...it's nice to have that advantage.
You are SO RIGHT that everyone has something to say! At my job, they are more than willing to say it to each other, but when a supervisor gives them an opportunity to say it, they clam up. Greg is right; they just like to complain, but aren't interested in correcting problems.
Post a Comment