Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Sidewalk Entertainment ~




Now seriously…a funny/beautiful thing happened to me on my morning walk to Starbucks. There was a group of 15 woman, all senior citizens dressed in colorful workout clothes and they were standing on the sidewalk exercising with Hula-Hoops! They each had one and were counting out loud as they slowly warmed up, jumping through the hoop. Needless to say a crowd had gathering in and around the block where Starbucks is located.

The instructor (which was an older, very sun tanned, cosmetically enhanced Pamela Anderson double ) shouts out “Okay ladies, let’s shake it up now, let’s get those hips moving and spin that hoop!” Then she pushed a button and Olivia Newton-John’s song “Physical” came on. Those ladies were “working it”! OH MY Gosh! I could not contain myself. I began singing along (I can not believe that I remembered all the words), clapping and cheering for them.
For those 10 minutes I forgot where I was and was just so amazed at how these ladies could swing those hips and shake their booties! One woman’s glasses flew off and she just kept on going, assuring the crowd that she was just fine. Wow! What a ZEST for Life! God Bless them with continued health, energy and spunky zest!

A huge line had now formed at Starbucks, so I didn’t get a chance to get that cup of coffee, but I did walk away very energized with a happy feeling inside and realized that this life is short, and many of us never do the things we want to because we're always waiting for something or other, but when an opportunity presents itself, take it! Jump on that Hula-Hoop bandwagon and do the things you've dreamed of doing. It's now or never and these women proved it to me. You go girls!

God is so very GOOD to us!

7 comments:

Janell said...

Wow - the hula hoop show gave you a better boost than the caffeine would have! You were surely in the right place at the right time.

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

this sounds unbelievable fun!
I am glad you witnessed this and laugh and sing!
And yes Life is good!
God bless you!
I came via Scarlet. Nice to meet you.

Deech said...

Video...We need to get you video saavy. That would have been a hit on YouTube.

I can't hula hoop to save my life....

Brooke said...

Janell,
You are SO right...I was thinking that same thing. I have been cracking up all day! Everyone around here has been talking about that.

Hola Carmen!
I feel like I know you through Scarlet. I love your work! Your blog is beautiful! :)

Mr. Fox,
I know!! I didn't even have my phone with me. I have to check youtube...I'm sure someone that was in the crowd was filming it. I am LMBO. The "B" stands for butt. LOL!

Scarlet said...

Chica, my grandmother would've been front and center! Remember how energetic she was?? She would've been hula-ing 'til noon.

Marla said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I think the hula hoop gals have more energy than me! I love it when people just do their thing and not worry about what others think. I don't have alot of courage for that!

Brooke said...

Scarlet,
Your Grandmother would have been the instructor!

Hi Marla,
Yes, they were so proud and you could see it in their faces and tushies!